Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hummel Knock-Off Figurine

A local thrift shop often puts small items in baskets and sell them for 5 cents, 10 cents or 25 cents. The other week I spotted a figurine that sent off the message, “nativity!” There was an angel standing next to a baby in a cradle:



The angel holds a candle aloft and gazes down at the Child. I found that it is in fact a knock-off of the Hummel “Watchful Angel” figurine by Goebel.





It has no label but by the brushwork (which looks like there are chips on the surface, but there is not), I believe it is by Napco, made in Japan in the 1950’s. It was in a 5 cents basket, and when I questioned two clerks, they said, "Well, from that basket, it is selling for five cents!"

I am linking to 2nd Time Around Tuesday, hosted by Diane at A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. See more participants at her blog.

I am also linking to Thrifty Thursdays at Tales From Bloggeritaville. Go there for more thrifty delights.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, that's as sweet as can be!

    Happy Epiphany (tomorrow)!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete